Many agencies and labs have found that applying for and receiving grant money is a good way to finance their purchase of an M-Vac® system. We want to help our customers learn where to look for these grant opportunities as well as how the process works. Grants are often available for only a short window of time (often two or three months from initial posting to the application deadline) so it is important to look at the websites often. There is also some preparatory work that can be done anytime in order to make the specific application process go faster once an opening shows up.
A change was made for grant applications for 2021 which involves having two deadlines for every application. The first deadline is with the Grants.gov and it is for submitting the SF-424 (a 3-page basic information form) and the SL-LLL (a 1-page lobbying activities disclosure) forms in grants.gov. The second deadline is for submitting the full application in JustGrants. You won't be able to submit the main application in JustGrants if the grants.gov forms aren't already submitted.
Here are links to likely grants that are currently open:
- FY 2021 Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Program. Grants.gov deadline is June 29, 2021; JustGrants deadline is July 13, 2021. The deadlines for this grant have been extended to July 26, 2021, and July 28, 2021, respectively. The funding for this grant includes efforts in investigating and prosecuting hate crimes. One of its objectives states, "Expand and enhance strategies — including tools, policies, and procedures — to increase the reporting, identification, and charging of hate crimes, including victim reporting." The purchase of, training on and use of an M-Vac® would definitely fill this objective if your unit deals with hate crimes.
- FY 2021 Collaborative Approaches toward Preventing and Addressing Hate Crime — Demonstration Projects. Grants.gov deadline is June 29, 2021; JustGrants deadline is July 13, 2021. The deadlines for this grant have been extended to July 26, 2021, and July 28, 2021, respectively. This program is similar to the other current hate crimes grant (above), although it requires a comprehensive approach, so the M-Vac® purchase would have to be just one part of a whole plan put in place by your agency.
- FY 2021 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) Program - Local Solicitation. Grants.gov deadline is July 26, 2021; JustGrants deadline is August 9, 2021. This program funding is just like the State Solicitation described above, only for local governments, which can include towns, cities, counties, villages, tribes, or even law enforcement districts or judicial enforcement districts.
Here are some key places to look often for new postings. Several of these have the option to subscribe to a periodic email update service that helps you stay apprised of new openings.
Here are some websites that help explain the various government agencies' processes:
- DOJ Grants Financial Guide - This Guide gives a lot of definitions and tips for all parts of the DOJ's grant process. Don't miss the first Appendix, which is a guide to all the government's acronyms, so you can keep your DHS apart from your HHS or know your BJA from your JABG!
- OJP Grant Application Resource Guide - This explains a lot of the rules and regulations for applying for OJP Grants and even goes through the process step by step.The OJP is the first of three subsets for grants under the DOJ.
- OVW Grants - A page that explains the process for applying for OVW grants. The OVW is the second of three subsets for grants under the DOJ.
- COPS Grants - A basic page that explains the process for applying for COPS (Office of Community Oriented Policing Services) grants. COPS is the third of three subsets for grants under the DOJ.
- Grants.gov - This robust site leads to several helpful blogs (linked on the Home tab) with articles of interest to those applying for government grants as well as to the Grants Learning Center (Learn Grants tab) and several other helpful webpages (various other tabs.)
- Just Grants (Justice Grants System) - This is a new website which combines the resources for all three grant making branches of the DOJ mentioned above.
Here is an example of a recent grant that was awarded specifically for implementing the M-Vac®:
We would appreciate feedback
on your successes in getting grant monies awarded for purchasing the M-Vac®
System. Your tips could help others succeed as well.