Philadelphia PD Validation
The Philadelphia PD Office of Forensic Science conducted research on the M-Vac and presented their findings at the 2015 MAAFS conference. They tested the following general scenarios:
- Buccal cells on highly porous materials
- Wearer DNA
- Touch DNA
- Using the M-Vac after traditional methods had already been used
- Mock touch DNA crime scene scenarios
Here are a few highlights from their presentation.
- The M-Vac collected 180x on porous, absorbent materials
- It collected about 5x more with wearer DNA scenarios
- 5x more with grab or touch scenarios
- It collected more DNA material than the original swabbings when re-collecting from sampled items
- It is efficient at collecting from large items or surfaces
The research is being reviewed internally for publication, but contact information is available upon request
for the department that conducted the testing and is using the M-Vac.